Saturday, March 14, 2009

Scoops: Flavors to Try (06/05/2008)

********************************************************************

I've been sifting through some of my old writings and I realized that I have a whole bunch of food reviews that I never got round to posting on the blog. And because I REALLLLLY don't want to start studying, I'm going to do some more food blogging/procrastination. So here they are, reviews from yesteryear.

********************************************************************
Scoops is the bestest. In my mind, there are two types of ice cream shops:
1) The ones opened by Westerners
2) The ones opened by Asians

It's not hard to distinguish between the two - just look at the flavors available. Those belonging to category 2 will have the standard flavors (chocolate, vanilla, choc mint, etc. etc.) plus things like goatcheese ice cream...

I don't know what it is - Asian people LOVE turning savory foods into ice cream flavors (ever been to the ice cream "museum" in Tokyo with beef tongue ice cream? Had curry rice ice cream in Hong Kong?) And I have absolutely NO qualms about that. So it's a greeeeeat thing that Scoops exists!

The flavors I've tried so far have still been pretty standard. The Irish cream coffee ice cream is good. The Jack Daniels and chocolate is even better. And two fatty scoops for $2.50 only! I can't wait to go back...to try things like the bacon flavor (someone told me about this). I mean, it's not like I prefer the taste of bacon ice cream over cookies'n'cream or something, but how are we ever going to find better tasting food if we don't move away from the standards every now and then?

Sidenote: a lot of people who come here have the cutest tattoos ever (without the hipster 'tude)! Me likey big time!

FOOD: 4.5/5
SERVICE: 4.5/5
ATMOSPHERE: 3/5

SCOOPS ($)
712 N Heliotrope Dr
Los Angeles, CA 90029
(323) 906-2649

No comments: