Saturday, March 14, 2009

Quality Seafood: Smell the Ocean (05/25/2008)

********************************************************************

I've been sifting through some of my old writings and I realized that I have a whole bunch of food reviews that I never got round to posting on the blog. And because I REALLLLLY don't want to start studying, I'm going to do some more food blogging/procrastination. So here they are, reviews from yesteryear.

********************************************************************


Before I go any further, let me draw your attention to my weird sense of smell.

I LOVE the smell of skunk. I quite enjoy the smell of durian. I have no qualms whatsoever about the smell of sewage.

So when I arrived at Quality Seafood and I got hit in the face by that REEKING seafood stench, I couldn't help but smile...big time!

Since I am always more than happy to eat anything that's still moving, I was quick to volunteer when a friend needed a fresh-uni buddy. So off we came to Quality Seafood.


This place reminds me of the places I've loved before moving to LA. It's the closest thing to the Sai Kung and Lei Yu Mun seafood places we have back home in HK. And it also reminds me of places like Southstreet Seaport in NYC (which is one of my favorite places in the world). Rows and rows and rows of fresh seafood - conches, oysters, clams...what's not to love?

(Reminds me of home)

Employees are super friendly...and they know their stuff. You really feel that they are working here BECAUSE they like food...not just because they want to make a buck and pay the rent. Yes, it's strange to put it like this: but the people who work here actually enjoy cleaning out the guts of uni and that in itself makes this place five-star worthy.

(Having fun cleaning guts)

Tim and I only tried the fresh uni (SO cheap - less than $6.00 for one) and yes, it WAS good. I always believed that seafood SHOULD be fresh and this definitely was. I DEFINITELY want to go back and try more stuff though...the clams looked like a mini party for the stomach.

(Glistening in the sun)

And since I've always been a sucker for alfresco dining, Quality Seafood is the epitome of love for me. I can't wait to go back to that reeking smell!!

FOOD: 4.5/5
SERVICE: 4.5/5
ATMOSPHERE: 4.5/5

QUALITY SEAFOOD ($)
130 International Boardwalk
Redondo Beach, CA 90277
(310) 372-6408
http://www.qualityseafood.net

No comments: