Saturday, March 14, 2009

Kyochon: The New KFC (06/08/2008)

********************************************************************

I've been sifting through some of my old writings and I realized that I have a whole bunch of food reviews that I never got round to posting on the blog. And because I REALLLLLY don't want to start studying, I'm going to do some more food blogging/procrastination. So here they are, reviews from yesteryear.

********************************************************************

If late-night studying and stressing about finals weren't enough of an invitation for a breakout extravaganza, I decided to go grab fried chicken for our weekly Friday night dinner.

Someone tipped me off about Kyochon. Since this was also the same person who had explained Samuel Beckett's "Molloy" to me, I had complete trust in him - even with regards to food recommendations.

Kyochon is SO Asian. The place is UBER cute (I want my future house to look something like that); their menus look like glittering children's storybooks; the English on their banners read something like, "oooOOOooo, open until 24:00AM. VERY JOYFUL!" I absolutely LOVE it.

But that aside, the food is awesome. And how could it not be? It's Korean fried chicken! I LOVE Korean food. I LOVE fried food. I LOVE chicken. Perfect. We (i.e. 3 small Asian girls) ordered 2 whole chickens...and finished it all! Yep, that's right - I ate two-thirds of a fried chicken. I'm so proud of my disgusting self.

There was another table of 3 Asian girls near us. They were sharing a basket of fries and a chicken salad. Now THEY'RE disgusting...(what are they even DOING at Kyochon??)

The garlic-soy sauce is frickin' good. I could easily have eaten a whole chicken in that sauce. I can't take spicy food (sad, I know) but I still tried 2 small pieces from the spicy chicken and liked the flavor a lot. My Korean friend absolutely dived into the spicy chicken plate. The chicken itself is tender and juicy. We got a few dry pieces but then again, we did order the whole chicken and so got some less meaty parts (stupid ribcage meat) Next time, I'm SO going for the mountain-plate of drumsticks.

Price is a little high for fast-food but then again, this isn't grotty, dirty fast food. I thought it was pretty reasonable overall (around $42.00 for the 3 of us). Service is great as well - real friendly. Parking wise, there's valet service for $1.50.

Needless to say, I love Kyochon bigtime. Open until 24:00AM? VERY JOYFUL indeed!

FOOD: 4/5
SERVICE: 3.5/5
ATMOSPHERE: 3.5/5

KYOCHON ($$)
3833 W 6th St.
Los Angeles, CA 90020
(213) 739-9292
http://www.kyochon.com

No comments: