Saturday, March 14, 2009

Attari: The Middle Eastern Subway (06/05/2008)

********************************************************************

I've been sifting through some of my old writings and I realized that I have a whole bunch of food reviews that I never got round to posting on the blog. And because I REALLLLLY don't want to start studying, I'm going to do some more food blogging/procrastination. So here they are, reviews from yesteryear.

********************************************************************


Q: How do you know you're from Hong Kong?
A: You are instantly drawn to the words "tongue sandwich" on a restaurant menu.


Such was the case when I went to Attari Sandwich Shop for lunch.


Attari's beef tongue sandwich is AMAZING. It's a HUUUUGE sandwich and they do not skimp on the tongue. I LOVE beef tongue but I've never had it in a sandwich before so I'm really glad I tried it at Attari - it exposed me to the even greater potentials of this beautiful ingredient. The bread has a toasty crust which set off the tenderness of the tongue to a T (HA! Alliteration to the MAX! I am an English major after all...) And how could I not talk about the pickles? Little slivers of joy that: 1) added to the flavor like nothing else could and 2) helped prevent a potential over-dryness in the sandwich. Yes...who knew a sandwich could be so technical? But my absolute favorite sandwich from Attari's has got to be the kuku - a patty of potatoes, eggs and a whole slew of herbs and spices. Add a shiraz salad on top of that and I'm a happy camper.


The shop itself is also cute as hell. There's a giant outdoor courtyard - complete with a fountain and flowers. SO cute. The atmosphere is great...it's the type of place where the person at table A probably knows the gossip about the girlfriend of the son of the person at table B. And isn't that the type of stuff that makes the world go round??

FOOD: 4/5
SERVICE: 4/5
ATMOSPHERE: 3.5/5

ATTARI SANDWICH SHOP ($)
1388 Westwood Blvd.
West Los Angeles, CA 90024
(310) 441-5488

No comments: