Thursday, December 20, 2007

Being Happy

Last week I stocked up (BIG TIME) on cooking tools and ingredients. After a bit of internet research, I took an half-hour bus ride and ended up at the doorstep of possibly the best discovery I've made since moving to LA.

Surfas is AMAZING! Not only is the store impeccably clean and well organized (both of which bode extremely well for me), it stocks up on the type of products you see in Bouchon cookbooks and such (I didn't even know "powdered food coloring" existed! I bought 3 small pots). I fell in love with the store as soon as I saw the shelves of cookie cutters and piping tips and the rows and rows of pastel-colored sanding sugars. Beautiful.

And if that wasn't enough, the staff were also incredibly friendly and helpful. They knew the store inside-out, which was impressive, considering that it wasn't exactly small and probably stocked a gazillion-million different products. After about an hour or so of browsing, I ended up with 2 large brown paper bags filled with $60 worth of stuff...and a warm fuzzy feeling in the bottom of my stomach.

I absolutely LOVED Surfas. The crowd there was the perfect mix of moms-who-cook-at-home and young, hipster chefs. In fact, I love it so much that I'm thinking of skipping out on my next pair of shoes so I can spend money at Surfas instead (I can't believe I just wrote that!)


I think I might start to like Los Angeles...

No comments: